Premiato Pastificio Afeltra was established way back in 1848, when processing pasta was the mainstay of Gragnano’s economy. Ferdinand II of Bourbon, visited Gragnano with his second wife Maria Theresa Archduchess of Austria, to taste the famous maccheroni made by Pastificio Afeltra. «One maccherone is worth a hundred spaghetti» seems to have been his comment after tasting them. There have been numerous Afeltra pasta makers and the last name, which is still one of the most famous in Gragnano for the quality of his products, is that of Olimpio Afeltra. Today Afeltra pasta is considered to be a product for connoisseurs, so much that it has been included in the Slow Food circuit.